Saturday, December 20, 2008

Day 3- Aunt Mary's Sugar Cookies

This recipe has been in our family for years. My aunt Mary is the baker of the family back home. She bakes and sews and crafts and knits. And I wonder where I get it from? Anyway, she usually makes this recipe every year by the ton, then she passes it out to family and friends to decorate. Since I don't live at home anymore, I don't get cookie dough :-(
About 3 years ago, when my grandmother came to visit, she brought me almond extract, frozen cookie dough and a recipe! So now I can share with you. I really like this recipe because the dough is made with powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar, which means the dough is tender and soft. It's easy to roll out, and you can keep rolling the scraps without the dough getting tough. The end result is a crisp, but tender cookie, that's not too sweet. That is until they're generously sprinkled with coarse sugar and sprinkles.
Aunt Mary's Sugar Cookies
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar*

Cream butter and powdered sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in egg, vanilla and almond extract til well combined. Stir in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Divide dough in half and form them into discs. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut out shapes using your favorite cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored sugar, sprinkles, or chocolate candies. Put cookies back into the fridge** for a few minutes until they harden up a bit (about 5 minutes). Bake until edges turn a light golden brown, about 8-12 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.

**Makes about 4 dozen**

NOTE: *I don't have cream of tartar in my pantry. I have never needed it before this recipe, so what's the point? If you don't have it either, don't go out and buy any just for these cookies. Substitute the baking soda and cream of tartar for baking powder. So this recipe called for 1 tsp. each baking soda and cream of tartar. I added 2 tsp. of baking powder instead and it worked out just fine.

** You don't have to put your cookies back in the fridge, but if you do, they'll keep their shape better and they don't spread out as much. But then again, if you like pudgy gingerbread boys and girls, skip this step.

Don't overbake your cookies. Santa and his reindeer don't like burnt cookies. And don't forget the milk :-)

5 comments:

Shauna said...

your pictures look like they belong on food network!
beautiful!

Hennifer said...

I always overcook my cookies. I think for years I had a problem with undercooking (which I like but makes some people gag) and now it is a complex and I usually go the other way. I love a frosted sugar cookie!

Hennifer said...

I always overcook my cookies. I think for years I had a problem with undercooking (which I like but makes some people gag) and now it is a complex and I usually go the other way. I love a frosted sugar cookie!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Great looking cookies though nothing beats those pretty snowflakes. :)

This recipe sounds interesting. I'm curious about the almond extract in it. Will you be using it to make your Valentine message cookies? LOL, just wondering. :)

I'm a pain aren't I?
~ingrid

AnickH said...

I have always loved this recipe. And just like you, i one day tried cookie craft recipe. And cookie craft recipe is for sure a really good recipe but I love this powdered sugar cookie recipe better also (taste wise). the cookie craft recipe is better for a sturdy cutout cookie because it the cookie wont puff or lose its shape due to the fact that theres no baking powder or soda. but like i said for pure taste, aunt marys sugar cookie recipe takes the cake

Related Posts with Thumbnails