Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Going Ape For Grapes

I know this recipe will never win an award for Beauty Queen, but I promise you it is delicious! I saw this recipe for Sweet Grape Salad on Cassie Craves in late May and I've made it a handful of times since then. It makes a great potluck dish since it can be made ahead of time, a light side dish and even a dessert. Everyone who has ever tasted this, raves over it and tries to hoard it (no joke). And that's why I think you should make it too!

Are grapes a seasonal fruit? If so, then get them before they leave your grocery store! This bowl of goodness starts off with a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla and sugar. Then you fold in the red grapes and top it with a sprinkling of brown sugar and chopped toasted pecans. The end result is like eating a fruit dip with grapes, but you get the added crunch from the nuts. The textures and flavors in this salad are something I never would have thought of, but it really works.

I have another Summery recipe coming your way, then I promise I'll start adding some Fall flavors to this blog. I just don't want to get burnt out on eating pumpkin so early in the game, know what I mean? Although I did make some killer pumpkin pancakes yesterday :-)

I also wanted to thank you all for the supportive and encouraging comments regarding my first recipe video. I'm glad you all liked it and with every comment I read, I become a little more confident and a little less nervous and critical of myself. So thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sweet Grape Salad from Food.com via Cassie Craves

Printer Friendly Version
  • 2 lbs. red seedless grapes
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons pecans (I like to double this amount and I like them toasted)

Combine cream cheese, sour cream, white sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Gently fold in grapes.

Sprinkle with brown sugar, then pecan pieces.

Cover and refrigerate overnight or until well chilled. Serve very cold.

NOTE: This recipe is easily halved or doubled.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway, you have a couple more days to enter!

33 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

I've never had grapes in a dessert that I can remember. This sounds delicious--and I think it looks good too! There are always grapes in the grocery store. In fact, in all the places we've lived, I've never had locally grown grapes (except my grandmother's which were so sour they "turned your lips inside out". My guess is that most come from California or South America.

Best,
Bonnie

oneordinaryday said...

This sounds really good, Monica. We had the same reaction over a cucumber fruit salad we like - the first time seemed so weird, but it became a fast fave.

Cassie said...

I'm so glad you all like this! My family tries to hoard it every time I make it too. And yours is so much prettier than mine! :)

Keeley said...

I don't even like sour cream, but I'd try this. It looks really light and fresh. It would be nice at a brunch.

Avril said...

You know I forget that grapes can be eaten in different ways other than just simply put in your mouth after being freshly washed from the grocery store...this is such a great idea of a recipe! - and of course I trust you in that it is dee-lish so I will try it out for myself (and others). :-)

charleesmommy said...

Oh my God!!! My great grandma used to make this for all our holidays!! Thanks so much for posting this, I've always wanted the recipe but no other family members had it!!

Anonymous said...

Now this sounds like a very yummy to the tummy recipe. :-)

Thanks for posing it.

Unknown said...

had this at a baby shower this weekend!

mbc said...

This looks wonderful....now I can't wait for next summer! Thanks for sharing, I've been missing your blog lately, so this was a yummy surprise to see today.

Unknown said...

A few days ago I just poted on this same dessert on my blog, www.confessionsofahealthqueen.blogspot.com! I think its so much better than it looks, definitely!

Julie said...

I have no doubts I would adore this. Definitely keeping it in mind for any upcoming potlucks.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I have never had just grapes in a salad but this looks great! I too am a double-topping lady :)

Natalie said...

I've looked at this recipe on Cassie's blog so many times and been hesitant to make it but now that you're raving too it must be good! Definitely trying this for our next potluck!

Lorraine said...

Sounds great! Anything with cream cheese and sugar gets my vote, add the grapes and it must taste yummy:)

Sue said...

Our favorite fruit dip is brown sugar mixed with sour cream...that is it. So, I do know how great this would be. I've saved this one.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hmmm, I think this is one of those things I want someone else to make so I can try. Send me some! :)
~ingrid

Lemondrops Simple Stuff said...

Looks yummy! Must try this one too! Thanks!

Leslie Harris said...

Now that's my idea of a bowl of grape nuts! LOL! :)

I watched your video and thought you looked great. But I'll have to watch it again when my computer gets fixed so I can actually hear what you were saying. And congrats on winning the camera! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I love that combination! Sour cream is one fo my favorite things! Thanks a lot!
I loved your video by the way ;)

-Amalia

http://buttersweetmelody.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

I have been wracking my brain trying to find the perfect dish to take to a potluck this Wednesday. Then in swoops Monica with the answer! I'm thinking this is it. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

my mom has been making this for years! and it is so good!

Healthy and Homemade said...

This sounds sooooo amazing!!!

Katie said...

I honestly don't even like grapes but this sounds amazing! I love your blog. I find a new recipe everytime I scroll down the side. Everything looks so delicious!

katie
bakingandbandaids.blogspot.com

Foodiewife said...

I've been busy and MIA. Look what I missed! Keep summer recipes comin'. Heck, we grilled last night and I'm wearing shorts and a tank top. The pumpkin can wait, since I'm still picking tomatoes! I'd eat two bowls of this, no problem!

kelly said...

i have been making this forever. our local grocery store used to make it and my mom asked for the recipe and we've made it ever since. we have never put nuts in though and use powdered sugar rather than white sugar. YUM!

Joy Tilton said...

I'm always looking for a new fruit salad to serve for the holidays and I have a feeling this one will be a big hit! Thanks for sharing this Monica!

Kerstin said...

What a unique salad - I'd love it for breakfast!

Souffle Bombay said...

I have never had a dessert like this, I love grapes and the rest looks good!
Thanks!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

I've got this brand new bag of grapes in the kitchen waiting to make this recipe! Thanks for helping me!

Lamchops said...

OOOh yum! My neighbor brought this over once, only she had slivered almonds on top. I could not get enough. She also used a mixture of types of grapes too. The combination made me enjoy grapes for the first time again in a long time. Great recipe.

Anonymous said...

we make this at work...but we add about 8 ounces of cool whip...it makes it fluffier....

Treva said...

A friend brought this dish to a retirement cookout for my husband recently. I tried it. It was absolutely delicious. Several others tried it for the first time. It was a big hit. I plan on making some very soon. Thanks for all the great recipes.

Anonymous said...

This would be great with other fruit as well, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, even strawberries

Related Posts with Thumbnails